Followers

Thursday 15 August 2013

August impressions;



(From "Under a hotter Sun"  © Ts 1974)

Planting a vegetable garden, one is very much in the hands of the gods!

In autumn when the sun retreats its fierceness and spreads out a golden mellow light, is the time for new plantings.
Most vegetables do very well over winter. Some have a standstill in the coldest month like July and August. All year round vegetables are growing; harvested and planted again, it is an ongoing job.
Herbs do well, mostly all of them all year round. Basil seeds itself. Lavender and Rosemary bushes are planted in the vegetable garden for use and for beauty Italian and curly Parsley and in autumn Coriander self seeds. A big bush of Lemongrass its long sharp leaves gracefully weeping waiting to be used in cooking and for cool drinks


I had a very hard job to prepare the garden beds for my autumn and winter plantings. The soil had become hard and compact over the hottest summer month from the rain pelting down, compacting the soil. The unrelenting heat of the sun baked my poor garden beds so hard, it was ready to cut clay bricks from it.
After a lot of sweat and hard work the soil became crumbly again and spread with my coveted cow pads I had collected. Then came the easy and nice task of planting the tiny vegetable seedlings.
Lettuce, the snails liked the tender leaves just as much as we did. Cabbages and Broccoli, the beloved food of the larvae of the white butterfly. Beans were most of the time trouble free, if the weather was not to wet. Actually with everything I planted I was challenged by a myriad of insects, birds, possums everybody wanted a slice of my plantings.



Ready for action...

 Bell tower;


Hey. hang on I wanted to say, you are as busy as a bee...


Kurume azalea;

"Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls: all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves." - H.E. Bates,  'A Love of Flowers'


A quiet moment  in the garden;


A new addition, Zingiber peninsularis;

The old chook yard comes nicely along with the new plantings I did last autumn.

"Gardening is the purest of human pleasures." - Francis Bacon
(Are you absolutely sure about it Mr. Bacon?)Ts

The beautifully pleated leaf of the giant Heliconia.



 Flowering peach tree.


 Grevillia Caloundra Gem; great food plant for honey birds.

 "The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic, always enterprising, and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing something better than they have ever done before." - Vita Sackville-West,1892-1962



Camellias, winter's delights 



 Free sculpture; leaf of the huge Cuban Royal Palm.

"How fair is a garden amid the trials and passions of existence." - Benjamin Disraeli


 Azalea Rhodo X Dreamtime, a freely flowering bush.

Baskets, preferable to plastic ones.



Grevillia Sandra Gordon grows to medium shrub, great nectar provider.



Believe it or not:
"Nothing is more the child of art than a garden." - Sir Walter Scott

© Photos my garden/Text Ts  2013

9 comments:

  1. Hello Titania! That quote by Vita Sackville-West is spot on for me today! It has encouraged me to start new things instead of doing the same old thing. If you don't mind, I will be saving the quote into a write-up draft that I am working on. With the vegetables, even when I don't have winter in my garden and I am finding it hard to tend even a few pots. The birds and the creatures from the soil here likes vegetables as well! And when it rains many just got smashed or rot... sigh. Anyway, thank you for showing all your beautiful blooms. They are amazing! You have a good week! Cheers, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, thank you very much for your comment. Yes, I like the quote of VSW as well, it is so true. Yes certainly use it for your write up. It seems we all have to share; some days are like this, one is at a loss which has to be made up again the next day. I am cleaning windows, it seems for ever, it seems my home is made of windows, my consolation, good exercise. You too enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so nice! Thank you. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Hi Titania! I always like to see your marvellous garden, what a fine sequence of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Titania. So lovely to hear from you and to pop over and see all the beautiful things in your garden. My grevillea still has not flowered, after 5 years. It just keeps getting taller and making new leaves.

    I lost a lot of stuff when I had to get new computer, so you're back in my bookmarks again.

    xxxxxP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Luz; I have been very slack, to hear from you. Generally Grevillias flower in the first year of planting. Once they are established they do not need much water. I wonder, why yours does not make flowers? I make some research.

      Delete
  5. .....ein kleiner Gemüsegarten am Besten als Hochbeet, das steht auch noch auf meiner Wunschliste. Ich liebe es zu ernten ;)
    Liebe Titania, liebe Grüße in dein farbenfrohes Winterparadies schickt Dir,Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo Heidi, danke dir sehr für deinen so willkommenen Besuch. Ich denke es wird auch immer notwendiger Gemüse anzupflanzen, mit all den Spritzmittel oder GM weiss man nicht was man isst.
    auch schmeckt so ein Kopfsalat aus dem Garten doppelt so gut und die Tomaten auch. Ein Hochbeet ist gut da kann man den Rücken schonen.

    ReplyDelete