Followers

Saturday 2 January 2016

Herbetum;Thyme;







The herb garden; herbs, which I use constantly in my cooking are always present, like Thyme, Rosemary, different chives and a few different types of Basil. Mint is kept under the tap. I grow Mexican Tarragon which is as aromatic as French T. but does much better in my sub tropical climate.  I like to grow achillea for their lovely foliage, scent and sweet flowers. Self heal grows in a small bog garden, as it needs constant moisture to flourish. I also grow a few Strawberries which were discarded from the vegetable garden, a fig tree which I try to curb in its spurts of growth. A miniature Peach tree which I received as a B.present and a Brazilian cherry in a pot. Sometimes a pot plant in need of a bit of TLC finds its way into the herb garden until recovery.  I also grow a bay tree as I like to use bay leaves liberally in my cooking. Generally I  grow those herbs which I use for cooking or for tea. 



Thymus pulegioides Broad Leaved Thyme with pretty pink flowers.



This is my favourite Thyme and I might use it every day. 
Thymus vulgaris (common thyme, English thyme, summer thyme, winter thyme, French thyme,] or garden thyme). Common thyme is a Mediterranean perennial which is best suited to well drained soils and full sun. I have always a few plants of this one growing. It propagates well from a cutting.





Meow carries a mantle of woolly Thyme, a very pretty ground cover but not used for culinary purposes. Thymus pseudolanuginosus.

Thyme, evokes memories of La Garrigue where the scent of rosemary and thyme fills the air. 
 La Garrigue or phrygana is a type of low, soft-leaved scrubland eco region in the Mediterranean. Found on limestone soils around the Mediterranean Basin, generally near the seacoast, where the climate is ameliorated, but where annual summer drought conditions obtain. The term has also found its way into haute cuisine, suggestive of the resinous flavours of a garrigue shrub land.
Thyme is best cultivated in a hot, sunny location with well-drained soil. It is generally planted in the spring, and thereafter grows as a perennial. It can be propagated by seed, cuttings, or by dividing rooted sections of the plant. It tolerates drought well. The plants can take deep freezes and are found growing wild on mountain highlands. Along the Riviera, it is found from sea level and up to 800m.


Believe it or not;
You are what you eat. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember your lovely herb garden. I have a few hardy herbs: Thyme, Rosemary, parsley, and Tarragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane; visit the gold coast and have lunch with T.& P.

      Delete